Frequently Asked Questions

What is a marriage commissioner?

A marriage commissioner (officiant) is a person with the legal authority to perform marriages within the province of Alberta.

What is the difference between a religious or civil ceremony?

When planning the marriage, a couple may choose a religious or civil ceremony. There are no legal differences between these two types of ceremonies.

Religious ceremonies are performed by a religious representative (registered clergy) who is registered with Vital Statistics under the Marriage Act.

Civil ceremonies are performed by marriage commissioners who are appointed by the Government of Alberta under the Marriage Act.

What do we need to get married?

All you need is a valid marriage license, which must be purchased at a minimum of one calendar day in advance and two witnesses. That’s it!

How far in advance should I book a marriage commissioner?

I recommend you book at least six months in advance, so you aren’t disappointed. The summer months are very popular, and weekends fill up fast. Despite this, I make every effort to accommodate last minute bookings, should my schedule permit.

Do I need to be an Alberta resident to get married in Alberta

No. While you do not need to be an Alberta resident to get married in Alberta, you and your witnesses must be physically present.

We are considering a destination wedding. Do we still need an Alberta marriage licence?

While your Alberta marriage licence is only valid for ceremonies in Alberta, it may be difficult to familiarize yourself with the marriage requirements at your destination. Because of this, many couples opt to be legally married in Alberta prior to their destination ceremony. A legal marriage in Alberta before your departure can help to eliminate any surprises on your big day.

What paperwork needs to be completed before the wedding?

An Alberta marriage licence must be provided to the marriage commissioner before the commencement of your marriage ceremony. 

Do you offer "Do it Yourself Weddings"?

Yes, I offer DIY weddings. Contact me to discuss your options.

We want to get married ASAP! Do you offer this service?

Sometimes all you want it is to make it legal. I’m happy to meet with you wherever it is convenient so we can have a quick ceremony and make your union official. 

Let's work together to create a celebration to remember!

HITCHED by Dustin

Looking for a marriage commissioner in Calgary, AB? I work with couples to plan and deliver a ceremony that reflects who you are and how you want to remember your wedding day.

Contact Me

Calgary, Alberta